Friday, March 11, 2005

Of Birds and Jars

Yesterday, I had the extreme pleasure of flipping off President Bush. It was a brilliant stroke of luck that Eek and I happened to be walking down Main Street just as El Presidente’s motorcade rambled past. My arms instantly flew into the air, almost as if by instinct, and my middle fingers sprang forth in a glorious and pert display of my extreme displeasure. I looked a bit like an irate Nixon for a few seconds, and then he was gone. I was absolutely giddy for the next several minutes, thinking that I had finally communicated with him in a way that even he could understand. Cheers!

Irate Nixons would be a good name for a band.

And now, of jars. Do any of you drink from jars? The Old Man and I noticed the other day that we quite often drink from jars. This is a practice both of us grew up with, but are not sure if it is common. Basically, if something comes in a decent jar, you keep the jar, not to jar something else, but for use as a drinking glass. As a child I also often ate cereal from old margarine and cool-whip tubs. We don’t so much find ourselves saving the butter tubs, but we religiously keep the jars. It has reached the point now where the jars outnumber proper drinking glasses. Mind you, we never schlep the jars off on company. They are just daily use glasses for the family. Do you guys drink from jars?

Weehaw!

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Caratzas said...

The double flip - delicious!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh-heh... pert... heh-heh.

Jars... no, we never do that. We do have an actual boar's head that we use on ritualistic occasions, though.

Way to do us proud, by the way!

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never drank from real jars, although my mom had this curious collection of jars that had handles and were intended for drinking instead of holding things. We used those. But I also eat soup out of pint glasses (the old fashioned kind with handles) so I'm not sure I should be talking.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Dott Comments said...

No.

We also don't eat off paper plates or aluminum pie tins with plastic cutlery.

And we have an honest-to-god kitchen table (in the kitchen) and an honest-to-god dining table with extra leaves in the dining room and we frequently sit there to eat our meals.

However, there's nothing better than eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and drinking a tall glass (not jar) of milk in front of the TV set.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home