Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What do these guys and I have in common?


We all hate Ike.

As most folks may know by now, on Sunday, Kentucky endured its first ever category 1 storm. No one seemed to know it was coming. I know we were woefully unprepared. At first the wind was just a curiosity, one that quickly turned into an all out "Hey gang, let's stay away from the windows," fear fest.

As the storm intensified, we lost our power, and then the trees started coming down. Each majestic beloved tree instantly became a giant ticking time bomb. I watched one fall inches from my truck, screaming at Dave who was outside. I was terrified he would be squished. Luckily, the only thing that got squished was our fence. I'll have pics up soon. We lost four mature trees, a few shingles, everything in our fridge, and that poor fence.

The power on my block was restored yesterday afternoon, but our internet and cable are still down. Many grocery stores have no fresh food, so we've been eating canned things or fast food. I look forward to cooking a good hot dinner soon.

Although we have a lot of clean up work to do, I know that we are really lucky. Things could have been so much worse. We got through thanks to my penchant for buying more candles than we'll ever need, the good graces of great friends, and a whole truck load of luck.

If you have an ax and unresolved anger management issues, we could use you this weekend. Holler!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh my goodness! i had no idea it hit y'all that bad. i'm glad you are okay! should i send you some cake in the mail?

10:39 AM  
Blogger MsHellion said...

Cake is always welcome, crisis or not. :)

11:26 AM  
Blogger yournamehere said...

Talk about "woefully unprepared": I was drinking a beer at Cumberland Brews, thinking "Hey, it's kinda windy out there" when the wind blew the awning off of the coffeehouse next door and flung it across Bardstown Road into a parked car. I went home soon after.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home