Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Motorcycle

It has been brought to my attention that I have neglected to blog about my new pastime, motorcycle riding. Back in July I went to motorcycle school where I learned how to safely operate a motorcycle. It was a very rigorous 16 hour course, most of which was conducted on the bike. You jump right in to the riding, no dallying around in the classroom. Some people quit the first day, and a couple did not return the next day. Those of us who stuck it out had a great time and graduated with MSF certification. As we left after the final class, the instructor reminded us that we now know how to ride a small bike at 20 mph in an open parking lot, and to not go out and get wild just yet.

Heeding this advice, I puttered around on Dave's bike in the parking lot of the River Road Kingfish a couple of times. I found his bike to be hard to handle because of its weight and width, and I couldn't comfortably use the foot controls on the cruiser style bike. During class, I rode a standard bike, which has the foot controls directly under you, as opposed to cruiser style controls which are about a foot forward towards the handlebars. I liked the standard style a lot, so we decided to hit craigslist to get a bike just for me.

We ended up buying a lovely 1982 Honda CB750 for a song. This bike was the fastest bike in production in its day. This is actually a picture of the 1980 model, but mine looks the same.




The pictures make it look deceptively small. This bike is actually so tall that even Dave has a hard time getting both feet flat on the ground. I have to tippy toe to hold the bike up. This weekend I took it out for my first real ride, amongst actual traffic. I did okay, but my right turns need to tighten up, and I need more practice with the throttle so the engine doesn't die when I take off from a complete stop. Other than those issues, I am thrilled, excited, exhilarated, and utterly terrified to ride. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always said it, and now you have the operator's license to prove it -- you're batshit crazy, lady.

That said, cool bike.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Oooohhh boy. You are one ballsy lady :)

12:41 AM  
Blogger yournamehere said...

You should start dressing like Leonard Smalls.

10:29 AM  
Blogger MsHellion said...

I already do.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home