Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Squawkin'

Lately, I have been trying to recollect some of the more colorful phrases my Appalachian kin used daily when I was a child. I am now seriously considering compiling these for posterity before they disappear into text messaging obscurity. Till then, here is a poem I smashed together using some of my favorite phrases from my Mammaw's peppered lexicon.

LORD HAVE MERCY

Shit fire
And forget the matches
Like piss
Pouring out of a boot.

He couldn’t drive
A billy goat.
Hear me?

Like cat fur
For kitten britches,
Messin’ and gommin’
Spoilt rotten.

They say
he ain’t done it,
but I figgered it
right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth N. said...

Can I add to the list? From my family and time in the mountains...

He fell ass over tea kettle.

You done robbed me of my blessing.

Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird hindend.

You can't say it ain't been a little slice of heaven.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home